Wednesday, May 06, 2009

The Word for Wednesday, 6 May Edition

And it's even on Wednesday, for once. As it happens, I'm taking the day off from my day job, having some small things to take care of today.

It's been a while since I did any reading in Isaiah, so I turned there this morning. Chapter 1 hits like the proverbial ton of bricks. Now, Isaiah is talking about his own country and his own people here -- not mine. Still, though, it certainly rings true here and now:
The vision of Isaiah the son of Amoz concerning Judah and Jerusalem, which he saw during the reigns of Uzziah, Jotham, Ahaz and Hezekiah, kings of Judah. Listen, O heavens, and hear, O earth; for the Lord speaks, "Sons I have reared and brought up, but they have revolted against Me. "An ox knows its owner, and a donkey its master's manger, but Israel does not know, my people do not understand."

Alas, sinful nation, people weighed down with iniquity, offspring of evildoers, sons who act corruptly! They have abandoned the Lord, they have despised the Holy One of Israel, they have turned away from Him.

Where will you be stricken again, as you continue in your rebellion? The whole head is sick and the whole heart is faint. From the sole of the foot even to the head there is nothing sound in it, only bruises, welts and raw wounds, not pressed out or bandaged, nor softened with oil.

Your land is desolate, your cities are burned with fire, your fields -- strangers are devouring them in your presence; it is desolation, as overthrown by strangers. And the daughter of Zion is left like a shelter in a vineyard, like a watchman's hut in a cucumber field, like a besieged city. Unless the Lord of hosts had left us a few survivors, we would be like Sodom, we would be like Gomorrah.
As I wrote above, one must be careful not to over-extend scripture beyond its plain context. One can, however, legitimately infer general truths from biblical particulars. Rebellion against God ends badly. And who's not rebellious around here? The country in general? The church?

Uh ... me?

As always, click here for more Words for Wednesday.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's hard to read most any of the prophets these days without comparing their words against Israel to our situation today.

And it's interesting, once again, that our posts this week go together. Rebellion is nothing but the flip side of obedience. You don't think maybe God's trying to tell us something, do you?

Jim Wetzel said...

That did occur to me as I looked at your WFW after posting mine this morning. And, as you said there, if He's telling me anything, best I clean the crud out of my ears and the despair out of my heart, and hear, prepared to obey.