Tuesday, April 28, 2009

The Word for Wednesday, 29 April Edition

Posted early, as usual -- and for the usual reasons. And, once Wednesday really does roll around, why not go here for more, and probably better, Word-for-Wednesdays?

Scripture, wrote Paul in his second letter to Timothy, is profitable for teaching, reproof, and correction. So, rather than using scripture as a feedstock for a weekly blog post, it would seem appropriate for me to sit down with scripture and be taught, reproved, and corrected. Lately, I've been much at odds with my day job. Often, I find myself angry before I've been at it for a full hour (reading my email in the morning is often sufficient to accomplish this), and thinking very ill of this person or that one. So, after a little looking in the concordance, I find myself in Colossians 3, verses 22 - 24:
Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not only with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men; knowing that from the Lord you will receive the reward of the inheritance. It is the Lord Christ whom you serve.
Then, as for my anger, Matthew 5:22:
"But I say to you that everyone who is angry with his brother shall be guilty before the court; and whoever shall say to his brother, 'Raca,' shall be guilty before the supreme court; and whoever shall say, 'You fool,' shall be guilty enough to go into the fiery hell."
Yup. That'll do it for me. I am taught. I am reproved. I am corrected. For right now, anyway. Tomorrow, I expect I'll need another dose.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

God has, once again, amazed me.

I didn't have time to do my post last night, and really had no idea what I would do. When I was seeking the Lord about it this morning, I saw in my links that you had done yours, but I deliberately did not read it until mine was posted.

Turns out, yours is a perfect illustration of mine. Thanks, brother, for listening and sharing.

Jim Wetzel said...

And I thank you for your very kind words. I've read yours, and I think I'll respond there.

Anonymous said...

Jim,
It was so interesting that I found your blog courtesy of the Democrats! You aren't losing gray matter are you?? Anyway,good to see you are still around.

Steve G

Jim Wetzel said...

Mr. Steve! Good to hear from you. As far as the gray matter goes, I'm in rehab. I'm twelve-stepping it these days.