Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Distinguishing Among the Finest of Shades of "Difference"

So, Sen. Spectre (yes, I know, that's not how he spells it, but it seems so fitting) has switched parties. He makes an unlikely claim. But he's not alone in doing so:
In November, the Democrats won the White House and both chambers of Congress for the first time since 1994. "I now find my political philosophy more in line with Democrats than Republicans," said Specter, 79.

Obama told him the Democrats were "thrilled to have you".

Republican national committee chairman Michael Steele said some Republicans would be happy to see him go. "He left to further his personal political interests because he knew that he was going to lose a Republican primary due to his leftwing voting record."
Now, I know I'm frequently critical of President Rainbow Brite, but I'm happy to say that, of the three people quoted here, he's the only one who seems sincere. I'm sure he is thrilled to have another vote in the upper house when party-line time comes 'round. But both the cadaverous Newest Democrat and the Chocolate Republican insist on pretending that there's a significant difference between their respective crime families ... beyond obvious and trivial "differences" such as brand names and logos, that is. They must think the great American people will believe anything.

I regret to say that I think so, too.

No comments: