Monday, August 25, 2008

Physics Time Again!

Classes begin today at IPFW. I'm taking a belated day off from the day job, getting a few things done at home (I was going to take Friday off for my birthday, but I had something time-specific to do, so today's it). More to the point, though, PHYS 218 gets underway this evening at 6 pm, and I'll once again have Enhanced Excuses™ for not posting to my poor, neglected blog. I can't say I enjoy grading exams, quizzes, or lab reports, but I do loves me some teaching physics. I have 56 customers lined up for tonight, and I hope each and every one will get a good value for his or her money. (Not all of them will, so my fallback hope is that, for those who don't, it won't be because of something I did, or failed to do.)

Last week I had email from a former student who is now a day-job co-worker. The humor she passed along was something I'd seen before, but I got a smile out of it all over again. I share with you here a couple of alleged test items:




















This person actually was well on his way to a correct solution to the problem; he correctly calculated the gravitational potential energy of the object at its starting point (mgh), and its elastic potential energy at its stopping point (0.5 * k *x^2). He should simply have equated the two and solved for x. For some reason, he elected to bag the problem instead. I'd have given him a few points' worth of partial credit; he really had most of the work done.

The next person: not so much.








Anyway, here's hoping for correct solutions from my students; and, failing that, I hope to see some funny ones.

3 comments:

Craig said...

56, that's kick ass

pardon my mouth

Thinking Mama said...

Oh my gosh, Jim! Happy Birthday to you! And by the way, not many rut dwellers that I know teach physics. And go to Canoga Park Bowl when they're in Los Angeles. Maybe you're not nearly as much of a rut dweller as you think. :)

cheers,
tricia

Jim Wetzel said...

Craig: I used to have 60 in the fall semesters. Last year, though, someone decided that the lab can only accommodate 28 people at a time before fire codes are broken. Since I have two lab sections, that limits enrollment to 56. Of course, since I'm in the lab too, I guess it's still in violation, since I make 29. Hmmmmm.

Tricia: thank you for the birthday greeting! In terms of ruts, grading the 51st lab report of the weekend feels fairly rut-ish, but I suppose ruts are where you find them (as my old dad, a tool and die maker who despised routine, might have said). If I lived in Los Angeles, the CPB would be a part of my rut. Those of us with the "talent" for it can routine-ize pretty much anything, I'm thinking ...