Sunday, April 29, 2007

Still Here, Sort Of

Not that it matters, but my day-job duties, my end-of-semester instructional duties, my parental duties, and my necessary activities as a homeowner seem to have reached some sort of simultaneous peaks ... so blogging's very much on the back burner.

Having watched most of the eight-way Democratic presidential candidates' "debate" a few evenings ago on MSNBC, it occurs to me that Ron Paul as a Republican candidate for the office has quite a bit in common with both Dennis Kucinich and Mike Gravel in the corresponding Democratic contest. All three have at least a nodding acquaintance with the notion of a principled political philosophy; all three are intensely unsatisfactory to the bipartisan/nonpartisan orthodoxy that runs USA, Inc; and none of the three have the remotest snowball's chance of being elected to the figurehead CEO job.

Make sure you vote, though. Remember: if you don't vote, you can't complain. And the show must go on. And the nice policeman is your friend. More commonplace lies later; that's enough for now.

2 comments:

Craig said...

How does one speak with one's tongue is his cheek?

I didn't watch the debate/paid-programming. Seemed kind of pointless. Plus I was writing a term paper. I heard that Gravel came out swinging though. Sounds like he commited the cardinal sin of politicking. He spoke his mind.

Anonymous said...

Tongue in cheek = what you have said is a joke, although it might seem to be serious.
Cathy